Accuracy of Petiole Pro Leaf Area Meter
We got many questions about the accuracy of leaf area measurement with Petiole Pro. Hence, today we will consider this aspect in more details. Also, we’ll give you a proof that Petiole Pro is one of the most accurate leaf area meters now in the world. Are you ready to know the truth?
How to check accuracy of Petiole Pro Leaf Area Meter
To demonstrate the high accuracy of Petiole Pro leaf area measurement, we recorded this video:
- Install and launch Petiole Pro.
- After launching, choose Petiole Leaf Area and then calibrate camera.
- Download the accuracy checking pads. You can choose either with an average area of the circles 0.785 square centimetres or with an average area of the circles 1.76 square centimetres. Otherwise, you can get both of them for testing.
- When the calibration of the camera is finished, switch on Accuracy Checker. You can do this by pressing the button with a chessboard on the left hand side of the screen.
- Place the accuracy checking pad in front of the camera. You can see the accuracy of measurements for all of the circles, which are visible for camera. In the video, demonstrated above, for the circles with the area of 1.77 square centimetres we get an average 1.74 square centimetres. But for circles with the average area of 0.78 square centimetres we have 0.76 square centimetres.
- After turning off the accuracy checker mode in Petiole Pro, you can launch initial leaf area measurement. In the mentioned video, we were measuring leaf area of rucola (arugula).
Computer Vision as the foundation of Petiole App
We believe that computer vision can positively change agriculture. That’s why we have created Petiole app and then Petiole Pro, a mobile platform for measurements in horticulture and floriculture.
In simple words, Petiole Pro helps the camera of your smartphone to see the object in front of it. In other words, your camera can measure the leaf or something else. If we are speaking about Accuracy Checker – it measures area of circles on a pad.
How does Computer Vision works?
To determine the size of an object (for example, leaf), firstly, there is a need to perform a “calibration”. This is not something unique for Petiole Pro – each Computer Vision algorithm needs appropriate calibration using a reference object. In our case, we have a calibration pad for these purposes.
After this, the camera starts to work as a digital leaf area meter, “sees” the edges of a leaf and then calculate the inner area.